My line comes into an integral farelead/camcleat.  I think that the unit
was designed for a larger size line since the farelead looks capable of
1/2" or even 9/16" and the 3/8ths that I use works loose of the cam cleat.
In heavy winds and a furled sail it can come loose quickly and
dangerously.  I have to remember to cleat it off on the adjacent horn
cleat.  I have a new cam cleat that I haven't installed yet.  I think it
might work a little better.

My line leads back from a forward stanchion to the camcleat and then the
tail falls easily inline with the primary winch.  I know better than to
force the furler with the winch but occasionally I'll lazily use the winch
to pull against the wind.  All my gear is on the starboard side so bringing
the sail in while on port tack works best.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD