Hi Shawn,

I suggest you don't do any improvements to the prop or shaft right now. Use her for a year and see how it performs.

Sure, the blade tip clearance looks too small (should be 15% of diameter) and the overhang looks enormous but why not wait & see?

Moving the strut back is no small deal and requires a new (longer) strut or an ugly hull buildup at mounting location.

Nice to have the 2.5:1 tranny. That could easily swing a 16 X 16 prop with the old Pathfinder diesel... given enough room of course. The Campbell Sailor is an excellent choice for a cruising boat and your size will be able to put something like 25 - 30 HP into the water if you need to.

For prop porn try:
http://www.kiwiprops.co.nz/cms/index.php

I chose one of these for Sweet in considering sailing performance AND tip clearance considerations. The tips are so far back on the hub that I could swing a 15 1/2" prop with the normal space abaft the strut.

        Cheers, Russ

Hey! Why aren't you under the boat all dirty and grimy on this Saturday morning?