I too think the Halon auto is the best choice but last time I tried, could not be purchased new in Canada due to damaging effects to ozone layer (or some other SJW concern). Older ones could still be refilled a few years ago.

The best non-residue solution is probably CO2 and the little port, as discussed.

I bought one of these little puppies:
http://www.elidefire.eu.com/
Figuring "what the hell" as a back-up it cannot hurt too much. Position it high & aft in the engine compartment. Looks like a slight residual powder may be left behind.

Don't discount the possibility of a diesel fire when there is pressurized fuel line(s) near high temperature exhaust surface. Gargle "steam turbine oil fires" to see what a hot metal temperature and lube oil will do.

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1