A one inch diameter stanchion has a circumference of about three inches (pi x
d).

I notched the open ends 1/8 inch or so, about half way up, something like this:
___________________
|_               _|
  |_____________|

so when the plastic is bent around and inserted into the socket, there's an
open notch at the bottom where the ends meet. I lined up the notch with the
set-screw hole in the base. As I inserted the stanchion into the sleeved base,
I tried to twist equally in both directions to keep the notch lined up. The
dish detergent helps here.

I also had multiple holes in the stanchions for set screws, but only one lined
up vertically with the hole in the base. Go figure. Some set screws had been
forced, cross-threading the screw. For those, I chased the hole with 10-24 tap
and replaced the screw.

Adrian Humphreys
Epilogue, Rockport ME
C&C 33-2