Bill,

I have the same compass.  Here is a link to the manual.
http://www.echomastermarine.co.uk/assets/manuals/Simrad/Autopilot/Compass/RFC35R%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Do you have a simrad/robnet auto pilot?  AP 20, 21, 22, 35?

Is your RFC35R setup for NMEA 0183?

I have an AP 22 and J300X autopilot.  To calibrate I have to navigate to
the calibration menu and over the course of ~2 minutes perform a complete
and even circle.  When it is done calibrating it will go to the next menu
where I can confirm calibration and adjust the offset.  During this time I
drive dead on each of the cardinal directions - 90, 180, 270, 360 as
indicated by the GPS.  If I find that there is a consistent deviation from
between the GPS direction and the RFC35R direction then I can enter an
offset number.  I believe that this offset is generally intended to correct
for minor errors resulting from unsquare mounting and the interference of
objects on board.  I would look to see how the RFC35R is mounted.  There is
a Forward orientation.  Then I would drive in each of the cardinal
directions and see if you can determine a consistent deviation.  Next see
if you can program that value into the chartplotter as part of the
calibration.

If none of those things work then try rotating the orientation of the unit
to see if that has any effect.

Let us know what you find.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk