David,
We sucked an apparently curious sardine headfirst into the intake while
visiting Desolation Sound a few years back.  Discovered the issue much the
same way you did by noticing increased steam in the exhaust. Idled in to an
anchorage and starting at the pump worked backward to the intake, where
 removing the intake hose I could see the small fish limply staring at me!
Poked at him a little and most of him shot into the boat, and naturally a
few gallons of saltwater before I could get the hose remounted. Problem
solved!
Rick
Paikea 37+
Bremerton, WA