Hi Russ,

I had alternator issues (Diodes)  I looked into having refurbed and found
it wasn't worth fooling with.  I found a shiny, brand new,  genuine Hitachi
(Yanmar's OEM) alternator for about $75.00- 80.00 shipped on eBay.  I just
put it in myself, it was a plug and play 30-45 minutes install.  At least
on my boat, it was one of the easiest  / most accessible things to
replace.  The new one worked much better than my old tired one when it was
working "correctly". That was 5 years ago.  Never had a problem since.

When you think about it, especially if it's the 30 some year old original,
the brushes are worn, the bearings are worn, the windings have seen better
days.. The whole thing is worn-out.  You'd have to replace pretty much
everything on the alternator. After some research, I found that buying a
shiny new one was cheaper than having my old one re-furbished locally.

Here's an actual Yanmar brand Item for $160.00 (Pretty good price for OEM)
:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YANMAR-MARINE-NEW-LR155-20-ALTERNATOR-BRAND-NEW/113838371817?hash=item1a814bb3e9:g:KtIAAOSwfX9czbyu

Here's a cheaper after market option:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alternator-Yanmar-Marine-2GMFL-2GMFY-2GML-2GMYE-3GM30-3JH2-3JH3E-4JH-12107/292921047799?hash=item4433747af7:g:bloAAOSwSudcL7xl