From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Marek Dziedzic via
CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:55 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Tuning the mast.

I might be stating the obvious, but the boats are not completely symmetrical.
They are, after all, made by hand by humans and they all have various
imperfections. So the shape might be a bit different on stb or port; the boat
might be listing in one direction; the keel and rudder might not be 100%
symmetrical etc.

On a boat with a keel-stepped mast, the deck opening through which the mast
goes might be off by a small amount; as Josh mentioned, a 1/4” might be a lot,
when you consider the length of the mast.

And on top of that, the growth on the bottom is also asymmetrical (the stuff
grows on the sunny side more than the opposite).

in short, I would not consider difference in performance on different tacks as
the symptom of a off-centre mast. It might be, but it is not the only one.

Marek

1994 C270 Legato
Ottawa, ON