Edd,,

It is simple. Unless you install a cut off valve in the teed line off the
raw water entail, the engine's raw water pump will suck the water out of
the HVAC water line. When that happens you will have air in the intake line
and your engine will over heat, etc. all sorts of bad things will then
happen. Air is easier to for the pump to suck than water.

Been there & done that, so we built a manifold system to prove water from 1
intake for the both the engine and HVAC water pump. However, I have to
close the valve for the HVAC side when running the engine and visa versa.
It works, but is sometime a PITA

Good luck

Best regards,
Jack Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald Forwarding Co. Inc. FMC license no:1966F
S/V HONEY - US12788
C&C 39TM (1974)
Savannah, GA