I have been following the list for many years and I enjoy reading the
wisdom of this group.  I have an interesting problem and seek your advice.

I have an very intermittent electrical problem (in fact it has only
happened twice in the last 7 years.  In both cases it has resulted in
electrical / electronic components becoming 'blown out' with all fuses
inline remaining good.

The first time I suddenly lost my AM/FM radio and ALL my navigation lights.
The engine also stopped as I had no power to drive the electric fuel pump.
This happened when motoring back home at night after a long race.
Fortunately there was wind and a hand-held VHF and a powerful spotlight on
the sails allowed us to be seen by commercial traffic.  Afterwards, I
checked - ALL the incandescent bulbs that were on had blown, but the fuses
were OK.  The radio had internal circuit board components blown but again
the inline fuses (there are 2) were OK.  In the case of the fuel pump, this
had to be replaced.
Thinking this may have been a spike from the alternator, I replaced the
alternator.

Last week (3 years later), motoring back in the dark I had a similar
problem, but this time only my VHF radio 'blew'.  Again the inline fuse was
good.  The navigation lights have been replaced with LED lights and the
AM/FM radio was off.

I often motor after long races and this has only happened twice!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this.  I am an
engineer so can diagnose most things but this has baffled me.

I am about to upgrade my VHF radio for one with DSC and internal GPS and to
add some wind instruments.  (I have a Raymarine knotmeter/depth meter
combined, and a EV-100 autopilot.)  I want to separate my electronics
electrical input and have considered putting them on an isolated battery,
but charging is a problem.  Is there some circuit protector I can put in
place to stop this happening again?

All suggestions welcomed.

BTW - for those of you with 29 mk 1's - you can race them competitively in
strong winds (as is usual on San Francisco Bay) - keep the boat flat and
have a really good crew!

--
Ian Matthew
"Siento el Viento"  C&C 29-1