Choose your anchor carefully. I have a 15 Kg Bruce knock off and about 60
feet of 5/16 anchor chain and that’s really all I want to haul by hand at
68. That anchor has never slipped and others have felt comfortable to raft
up alongside over night. I wear thick rubber gloves to retrieve my anchor.
Sometimes the anchor holds too hard to break free by hand so then I tie off
on a cleat and use engine power to break it free. That vertical windlass
you refer to is called a capstan. So far I have resisted installing a
windlass on my 35MKII mainly because of the cost and work involved. Maybe a
smallish say 10 Kg Rocna anchor would be better

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 8:50 AM Dave S via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> I see no response yet, and have until recently (just turned 56....) felt
> that the 33-2 was really too small to warrant a windlass.   Am now on the
> fence.   Also noticed a 32 at my marina with what appear to be a tidy
> installation of a vertical windlass.  (Adrian, will try to get some pics.)
>  Would like to ask/add a related question - has anyone improved anchor
> handling in general?   Am happy that the 33-2 has a roller and chain
> locker, however I had some excitement this season hand-retrieving 50’ of
> fully extendedchain in a stiff breeze and chop.  The line then later the
> chain hopped off the roller and slammed/wedged into the pulpit stanchion
> base as the boat sheered and bobbed about - very exciting and extremely
> strenuous for a solo sailor.   (With little sea room astern, but that’s a
> seamanship issue).
> No bail on the roller, and the poor lead from hand-hauling didn’t help.
> Really, a short sprit plus the parallel-to-deck lead for the chain afforded
> by a windlass would be ideal,  but that feels like a lot of infrastructure
> for a small lightweight boat.  Any thoughts?
>
> Dave
>
> Windstar 33-2
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 26, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Adrian Humphreys <adri...@telamontech.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone installed an anchor windlass on a 33-2?
> >
> > How did you?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Adrian Humphreys
> > Epilogue, Rockport ME