Since you have never been able to get it up to maximum rpm, it does sound
like it's over pitched.

If your engine speed is now lower than before, it might be your filters. I
use a 10 micron primary, and a 2 micron secondary. You might also make sure
all your fuel lines are tight, and that you're not sucking air along with
fuel.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC