Dave's math is right.

These guys may know their stuff on software but they don't apparently don't
know much about racing a sailboat.  To win you have to work ALL the
details. Completely dismissing any of the components is professing
ignorance.

The racing software helps.. to a point.  I've used their stuff, it's nice
for the start line. I use the built-in stuff on the Zeus, it helps with
laylines and windshifts for example: can do an A <-> B on one tack vs
another for VMG to a given waypoint .

On VMG, both are useful, VMG to wind more so.  Tacking on headers is also
important but that has to be tempered with common sense and chasing puffs
as well...   Sometimes you sail from a good pressure zone to a calm area
and you effectively outrun your wind on momentum which makes it look like
you're getting headed...

+ Sail trim + rig setup, + fast bottom, + fast sails, + competent crew, +
luck,+ good start, + , +, +, +

Neat software helps, but ALL of it counts.. That's what makes it so much
fun, the never ending quest for the perfect run. :-)

Have fun racing, we're hoping for good wind on Wednesday!

-Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA