Hi Fred
We had no problem removing the set screws in the thrust collar and used a
chain wrench to grab the round nut. The rudder was supported while this was
done. It might be worth moving the nut back and forth to reduce thread
damage on the rudder shaft caused by the set screws. Using the wheel as Ed
suggested might be worth a go.
If you would like to go into more detail on rudder removal let me know.
Simon