Hi David (and Marek),

I can't believe it's been so long to reply... I gotta retire soon. I am way too busy now.

I like what Marek has determined, below.

A couple o' things to add:
- not just impeller but often the impediment to cooling flow is a restriction between the block outlet and injection to exhaust. Take apart all the hoses and clean out debris with a wire pick

- the crab float shutoff thing is not uncommon in old engines. I have outboard motors and motorcycles dating back to the 70s. On some, to rehab the carb/float situation it is simply a matter of removing the carb gas feed hose and spraying in a cleaner/lube such as WD-40. It cleans any debris and gives a nice film to lube up the needle 7 seat on a carb. If that doesn't work for your situation with dropping gas in the stowed position. I suggest a practical solution that I used in the summer o' '08.. Simply rotate the power head so the tiller handle/ throttle know is facing in the up position. The carb won't drain out in this position.

        cheers, Russ