We have really high tides sometimes, but it goes back out 6 hours later, not NEXT YEAR. I did not realize the Lakes were variable to that extent.

Joe

Coquina

On 11/25/2019 8:59 AM, schiller via CnC-List wrote:
Joe,

As I understand it, not really.  The water levels were really low in 2013 and there was a lot of discussion about how to restrict the flows.  There was discussion of placing restrictive boulders in the St. Clair river to try to control the outflow from Lakes Superior/Michigan/Huron.  Great Lakes Freighters were limiting loads to navigate and the Army Corp of Engineers was running out of money and resources to dredge.

The lakes go through cycles of high and low.  Lake Michigan/Lake Huron record high levels occurred in 1986 but are expected to break those records next year.  Whole sections of Lake Shore Drive between South Haven and Holland Michigan were lost to bluff erosion.  Now some of the houses left are in danger.  All of the other Great Lakes broke record high levels last year.

Here is a good link to the USACE data: https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Great-Lakes-Information-2/Water-Level-Data/

With Lake Superior as high as it is, I expect Lake Michigan/Lake Huron to remain high for a while.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan
WLYC