Hi Paul,

My earlier comment, "if your headstay isn't set properly" inferred "if it is
too long or too slack" as the backstay needs something to tension against.
Pumping the backstay to 2500# when the headstay is tight will pull the masthead
back a few inches and tension the headstay.  Doing that with a loose headstay
might exceed mast bend design and damage the mast and or the partners.

Answers setting up your rig at the dock can be found in Selden's manual on the
subject.  That's what I use because it can be done with a simple folding metric
ruler.  It also explains the theory behind each adjustment.  The best tuning is
proven by sailing and after many trial and error type adjustments.  Keep a log
of each measurement, and each change and it's effect on sailing performance
after sailing and eventually you will achieve optimum.

Dock tuning:  http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-540-E.pdf

Sail shape:  https://www.uksailmakers.com/accumeasure

Chuck, Resolute, C&C 34R, Pasadena, Md