I got some advice on this topic about five years ago from a female J/22 racer I
really respect.  She said get some of your good friends, people you like to
spend time with, and make them into your crew - regardless of how little
sailing experience they have.  I took her advice and that’s how I raised my
crew.  None of them had much sailing experience, but we’ve been together every
race for four years now and have really gelled.  We always have a good time.  I
even let them race the boat when I can’t make it.  When I am on the boat, I can
roam around and tweak stuff, instead of being at the helm all the time.  The
crew is not completely cross-trained but that’s OK.  We’ve got three guys who
can helm, two guys who work mast & foredeck, everybody can trim main and
headsail, and two guys who can trim spinnaker.  That advice worked well for me,
for what it’s worth.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine