From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of dwight veinot via
CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2019 7:23 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: dwight veinot <dwight...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List JAM vs Spinnaker Racing

Why i said practice as a crew first. That kite is really powerful sometimes.
Pays to have your crew know how. OTOH i have used my tri radial kite with only
1 inexperienced crew on the wheel. Great until the apparent wind angle changed.
We lived and Alianna survived too

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:40 PM Luke Wolbrink via CnC-List
Making the plunge from JAM to Spin doesn't need to be terrifying or expensive
(unless you want it to.) You can find a used chute for a couple hundred bucks
online and as others mentioned a few blocks and line and you're going. Once
you've learned to tame the pole and kite then go and spend the money on those
fancy black sails and a new properly cut colorful one... or dont. Iv'e found
that we loose more often not becasue we have older sails but because we blow a
tack or spinnaker douse. All of the money in the world won't make up the 2
minutes you spend trying to get that hourglass out of the kite.

That said, Chicago has a pretty robust racing scene on weekends with 5 major
clubs working together to provide lots of events and variety. In order to help
develop those white sail JAM guys and get them out on weekends where things are
more competitive we started what is referred to as our Casual series of races.
The idea is to remove as many of the barriers as possible; it's like a drug
once you've gotten a taste you're hooked. Basically the RC assigns a phrf
rating to boats without a certificate and then the start is a 15 minute rolling
start. That way folks that are intimidated by jockeying around can hang back
and not be penalized. The course are usually around 8-10 miles long so plenty
of time to make maneuvers etc. We've typically seen 10-20 boats out on a given
saturday and after a few seasons we're starting to see some of them come out
into the racing fleet.

Cheers,
Luke
1985 35-3 Zella