Very true about the protest flag. Recently our crew was the Race Committee
boat for club racing, and we witnessed a pretty severe rule violation at
the start line, but the violated boat didn't have a protest flag, and tried
to use a hat on the back stay instead. They knew it wouldn't be allowed so
didn't file a protest (although I think the offending boat may have later
taken a penalty turn as a precaution). I was surprised since these are all
very experienced sailors, but I suppose it was just a Sunday club race.
Presumably they would be better prepared in a more serious race, but
maybe not. There are a few skippers who are very aware of the rules, and
also a bit aggressive, and use this to their advantage to intimidate other
boats, knowing that many will back down even if they don't have to.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com