Hello All,

The rudder on my C&C 37/40 was clunking while running before a following
sea. I removed the pedestal and cables to replace my idler plate and when I
grabbed the radial quadrant atop the rudder post to check for play I found
quite a bit (3/4"or so) of axial play (up and down). My question is; how is
the rudder located in the axial plane? Do the upper and lower bushings act
as thrust bushings as well? I've looked at the rudder drawings provided by
Ken Heaton but can't tell if the lower bushing is the one that sets the end
play in the rudder shaft. The boat will be out of the water soon so that
will be my big chance to fix this.

Alan Liles
SV Elendil, C&C 37/40
Vancouver, BC