Looks like a nice device, but I'd prefer one that can tell me where where
the water is coming from after a brisk sail. After 30 years in IT building
redundant systems, I learned that it's often the simplest thing that fails,
and if you don't know what to do when it does (and it's backup also fails),
no amount of redundancy will save you. But it is also very good to know
when something is behaving our of the ordinary, like a pump cycling more
often or longer than usual.
I once almost lost a large storage array once when I discovered the failure
alerting systems were not working, so we all assumed that the "hotspare"
drives were all operative. I happened to notice an error light one day,
only to find that three of the four spare drives had already failed (part
of a bad batch of drives...). So warning systems are great, but procedures
to check that they are working are also critical to avoid a false sense of
security.

For me, almost every time I arrive at the boat, I manually cycle the bilge
pump, and listen to the noise. If it takes longer than usual to empty the
bilge, I will investigate. If so, the next thing I will do is manually lift
the float switch to ensure it's still working. But I am rarely away for
more than a week, and have a second pump with a higher float switch in case
the primary fails, so this is enough redundancy.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com