Agreed.  As I also did a bit of one design racing over the past 10 or so years
in Lasers and Etchells, APS was one of the few one stop dealers on the East
Coast where you could buy hard and soft goods.  I don’t know how much the SNAFU
with Laser Performance hurt their ability to service the small boat market
which was a high percentage of their hardware business.

  In a letter sent out to customers and vendors, their owner said the
transition to strictly soft goods was going great but that the timing of the
pandemic didn’t allow them to generate sufficient income to pay for inventory
purchased in the fall and keep the business afloat.  Just goes to show you how
fragile the rec marine market can be.  Seems like every economic downturn
claims a few good boat builders and businesses.  So don’t buy marine products
at Amazon if you want your local chandleries to stay in business.

Chuck Gilchrest