From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 2020-07-14 17:27 (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Jumping the start battery in ACR environment

Following suggestions on this list, I purchased a NOCO Lithium battery 'jump
starter' to have on board if/when I might need to jump my starting battery.
Cheaper and lighter than another 12 volt battery and having done this many
times in various cars I have owned over the years, it is no big deal to jump a
dead battery.

However, my boat has an ACR which, as I understand it, works to keep the
batteries charge states more or less equal while they are being charged, either
from shore power or the alternator. When no external charge is supplied,  it
isolates the battery banks. So if it works as it should, and my house batteries
are drained accidently or just fail while at anchor (say), I should be able to
use the start battery to start the engine.  In fact, my battery switch has 2
positions (besides OFF), 1 (Normal) and Combine Batteries. Unless both battery
banks fail at the same time, I think I would always have on board power to
start the engine. In the very unlikely event that I lose both battery banks, my
NOCO might save the day.

So here is the question in this unlikely scenario:

When I jump start the engine, do I hook up the NOCO jump starting battery to
the 'start battery' in the boat? If the ACR has not failed, would it not sense
the increased charge state of the boat start battery and immediately share the
NOCO jump star power with the house batteries? If these are also depleted, my
NOCO  jump starter might not have enough power to start the engine, since the
ACR would send a lot of this power to the house batteries.

If the above is not 'over thought', it suggests that I should isolate the house
batteries from the ACR before I try to jump the boat start battery with the
NOCO jump starter.

Thoughts from the list would be appreciated!

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb