Just a suggestion, if it happens again, pull the hose off of the through hull
supplying raw water to your Yanmar.  Open the valve and you should get a face
full of SF Bay.
If not, you may have sucked something into the raw water feed that did not hit
the filter.  In my case I found a very surprised looking smelt.
I religiously watch the exhaust.  I have been told that some engines produce
steam, but I don’t understand why the manufacturer would design an engine  that
would exceed the cooling capacity.  I understand in very cold weather the warm
water will create some steam.  With my boats, it was always a symptom of
something in the system failing.
Cheers
Rick.
Paikea C&C 37+