I love reading all the experiences of buying boats and upkeep.  I'm envious
of the rumble and power I can imagine from sailing the 37+'s, 40s, and the
like out in great lakes or big seas.  I've done a lot of offshore sailing
and there is nothing like  it.  I'm also thankful for my current setup.

I have a 1979 C&C 36.  As a member of Lake Lanier Sailing Club, I enjoy
really good dock rates (less than $1600 a year), year around sailing, and
the ease of fresh water.  I have a scuba tank and regularly dive the hull
to clean it without much abrasion and keep an eye on things.  It's pretty
easy to single hand and most of the time it is just two on board.

Having had about 10 boats in the past, I knew to get one that was well
kept.  The boat I have had for two years now has taken little maintenance
money in relative terms for a boat.  I have purchased a new marine A/C unit
and water pump and two AGM batteries as really the only big items.  I've
spent probably $1k on the motor, working through a reversing gear issue
that is finally solved.  Otherwise, it's been some glues, sealants,
lubricants, LEDs, a halyard, a foot sink pump, wiring, etc and lots of
labor to get it kinda nice.  Budget time as much as money, both to learn
the systems and to improve them.  Even knowing what to ask for takes time
to figure out, but I like spending my time on it.

Still many things to do, but happy with the boat.  I have looked at other
boats and considered getting something newer.  A newer boat would have a
rear stateroom, but the nice large main salon area would get quite a bit
smaller.  Either set up is good.

I have concluded that thus far it's better to keep making this one more
like I want it.  I also checked out a 41 footer that I thought would be the
perfect next step but quickly realized what many listers have said -- that
size range is a different game.  For me, because we spend so much time on
the boat, I wish we had more storage to keep all the toys and gear out of
site but I haven't been able to figure out what size of boat could hide a
SUP board, kayak, etc except a *much* larger keelboat or catamaran.

Planning to spend the next boat bucks on a new 155% most likely.

Bailey White
C&C 36
Atlanta, GA