Hi John

Am assuming that you are replacing wet or rotten balsa core.  If that is the
case then please read on.

Lots of experience on this list how to do this.  You can do the job from the
top or you can alternatively do this from the bottom.  There are pros and cons
to each approach.  From the bottom you do not affect the top gelcoat and non
skid which is a big bonus.  However from the bottom is more difficult and
requires a bit more precision and experience IMO and usually you would need to
have a vacuum bagging kit (available from West Marine).  From the top you have
gravity working for you rather than against you, all areas are far more
accessible and the overall job is simpler.  I have always approached from the
top.

From the top you can either remove and reuse the top skin to mostly retain your
non-skid pattern or you can rebuild the top layer with epoxy or polyester
(fibreglass) and then paint with a product such as Interdeck or Kiwi Grip.  You
can also roll on gelcoat to build up a texture if that is your preference.
Either from the top, the bottom, paint or gelcoat it will look good.

If you can stick to non-skid areas the job is much easier.  Non-skid vs regular
gloss gelcoat is like Matt finish vs gloss finish in varnish and paint.  Gloss
shows off imperfections much more readily than matt.

I have replaced core material in large sections around chain plates of our
former Niagara 26 (built the same as C&Cs of your generation and by the same
person) as well as cockpit floor on that boat and 14 different deck and cockpit
sections on our former J27 Nut Case.  I have always done from the top as I was
shown how to do by a boat builder who routinely repaired decks on C&C 30s mark
1 for resale as well as C&C 27s and other boats.

The project has been documented on our web site
www.hoytsailing.com<http://www.hoytsailing.com>  At the bottom of the page
click on the J27 Nut Case web site link and on that page look at projects.

I hope this helps a bit

Mike Hoyt
Persistence
Halifax, NS