From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Dave S via CnC-List
Sent: August-25-20 01:15 PM
To: Doug Mountjoy <svrebeccal...@gmail.com>
Cc: Dave S <syerd...@gmail.com>; C&c Stus List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Raymarine autopilot firmware upgrade ?

Updating my own post for future searches...

I called raymarine tech support and after a short hold was connected to a tech,
to whom I explained the symptoms and the steps taken so far and he acknowledged
that the issue with extreme compass deviation was most likely (pretty much
certainly) software-related.  The gentleman was well trained and familiar with
the products.   The fix requires the firmware to be updated in all of the
related devices, and it requires one of Raymarines chartplotters to do so.  He
advised that the "classic" series chartplotter was not up to the job and
strongly recommended a MFD running  Lighthouse ii.   Good news is that my local
dealer has agreed to lend me a demo unit to do this update.
So, its solvable but the entire thing remains disappointing. This is a lot of
work to resolve a product quality issue, and it will need to be done
periodically to keep current.
I note that Raymarines site and documentation admonish that the firmware must
be kept up to date, while also warning that firmware updates are done solely at
the owner's risk.  This, you apparently consent to by downloading the update,
which as just mentioned they strongly encourage you to do, no doubt to fix the
bugs they are aware of but keep on the down low....

Before investing in marine electronics it is well worth understanding any bugs
that might be associated with the product and its software, and also on the
process for updating firmware/software, since you will have to do it.    End of
the day, the raymarine autopilot and any other other ancillaries appear to have
been engineered as and should probably be thought of as accessories to their
MFD, rather than viable standalone products.

Dave

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 20:16, Dave S