Dennis as we all know speaks the truth. For the third time this season I
have stripped all canvas in light of storm threats that never materialized.
Put out additional lines. Some might call me alarmist. But I have done it
over 50 years of boat ownership and have only lost one boat, my C&C 27 Mk I
to Katrina. After 15 years of waiting on local politics, I now am in the
luxury of a new Marina with floating docks which are rated to a 20 ft give
or take surge. But the one thing that frost me supremely are owners,
friends included, who do nothing banking on their insurance. What they
don't realize is that a roller furled jib that tears loose or some other
breakdown of inadequate mooring and preparations can cause damage to other
boats in the harbor and or the harbor itself.

We have become reliant on forecast that in theory gives a projection 5 days
out. 3 days ago Sally was projected to come ashore south of New Orleans.
Pensacola is 200 miles east. And as Dennis states Pensacola was never
thought to be in the bullseye. Pensacola wasn't even in the cone. It is bad
luck that Touché may have lost a Genoa. Hopefully that is all. When I lost
the 27 which I had owned since the early 80's I knew I had done all that I
could do to prepare.

Ed Levert
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans La