Dave:
A few Questions:
Exhaust smoke; under load does it produce an elevated amount of black smoke
(overloaded)?  White smoke that dissipates gradually (unburned fuel)?
White smoke that travels a few feet and vanishes (steam)?

Was the engine fine one day and have this problem the next, or is it
something that has developed gradually?

Under load, does it run evenly or does it surge and sputter? Or, run evenly
and smoothly?

Eric