Marek,

Our club has a weather station by Ambient Weather which is a few years
old.  It is interfaced with Weather Underground's WunderMap.  I was the one
who bought and installed it with some club volunteers.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KLAMANDE128#history

The sensor is mounted on our flag pole about 125 feet from the display.  It
is essentially line of sight through a large glass window.  The radio
communication between the sensor and the display in our bar has been very
reliable.

However, it drops its internet connection every now and then.  Perhaps an
issue with our network.  We solved the internet connection issue by
plugging the display into a smart plug.  Whenever it drops the internet and
there's no one around to do a hard reset, one of our members turns it off
then on from his cell phone.

So, I can vouch for weather stations from Ambient Weather although I think
other brands are also good.

Here's a link to Weather Underground's weather station buying guide.
Perhaps you'll find it helpful.

https://www.wunderground.com/pws/buying-guide

  --
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 6:16 PM Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is not C&C related, but certainly sailing-related…
>
> I have a general question to anyone who is involved in running a weather
> station for the sailing club (or similar). Our Club had various weather
> stations over the years, but the last one failed about a year ago and we
> did not have anything this season. I was asked to investigate what we could
> use.
>
> I have two options already: Davis Vantage Pro 2 and WeatherFlow Tempest.
>
> Davis w/s is reasonably high-end, but it also has a rather high-end price.
> WeatherFlow is very new, has very attractive pricing and no moving parts.
>
> If I correctly remember someone on the list was involved with the
> WeatherFlow initial KickStarter action. If this is correct, any comments or
> experience would be of great value.
>
> This will be a Sailing Club w/s, so the most important parameters are wind
> speed and direction; anything else is a bonus.
>
> If you have any suggestions, comments, ideas, recommendations for or
> against, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Since this might not be of interest to all listers, potentially use a
> direct email.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marek Dziedzic
> Ottawa, On