When the rubrail on Imzadi (1976 38 mk2) was damaged, the first estimate for
repair was over $10K. (remove about 240 through bolts, lift off the toe rail,
raise the deck about 6” to get access to the rivets that hold the rubrail to
the flange at the top of the hull, clean up all the old sealant, then attach
new rubrail and various layers of butyl, reinstall toe rail, and then bolt the
whole shooteree back together) In particular, I objected because of the
likelihood of leaks, and the likelihood that some of the electrical and
plumbing connections between hull and deck would get compromised.

The alternative we eventually used was to use a sawzall to remove the rubber
that was outboard of the hull to deck joint (leaving the seal intact). We then
attached an HMWPE extrusion that was about 1-1 ½” tall on the inboard edge,
tapering to about ¾” tall on the outboard edge, and about 3 or 4” wide and
running the full length of the shear. The new rail was butted up under the lip
of the toerail and covers the hull-deck seam. The rail is sealed between
rubrail and hull, attached with stainless screws from the inside, and has a
stainless ¼ oval strip along the outboard edge.

In the end it cost significantly less than the first approach, I’ve never had a
leak, I didn’t have to fuss with hose and wiring connections under the deck,
and my rubrail is actually wider than the tumblehome in the hull of my 38.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47

Washington, NC