Depending on the ACR design and how it is setup it may sense either battery
OR both batteries.  If sensing both, then any time either battery voltage
is greater than ~13.3ish the ACR connects the two.  This is the simplest
and most straightforward design but you'd have to read the owners manual.
This design allows a charge voltage to be applied to either battery (or
both) and eliminates charging system design questions.

Josh