I believe the ½ knot up/down rule is accurate much of the time and it includes
staysails.  I recall a conspiracy theory from the ranks of the Foredeck Union
(FU) that bloopers and staysails were “make work” programs to keep FU members
(I am a proud card carrying member) away from the boat owner’s daughter/wife.

My best experience with bloopers was on long distance downwind races.  During
the 1977 Transpac on a C&C 39 “Midnight Special” (still had the short, low
aspect rudder, AKA Broach Coach) we used the blooper to help steer DDW in trade
wind conditions. As we surged down a wave the AWA would move forward. When the
boat slowed in the trough the spinnaker would attempt to pivot the boat to
weather.  The blooper would fill and pull the bow back downwind. Repeat for
1,000 miles. I did the 79 Transpac on the same C&C 39 with the improved higher
aspect rudder, larger diameter steering wheel, and less wind overall but the
blooper was still useful.

In the 1981 Transpac I was part of a charter on a Frers 49 “Bravura”. It was
Irv Loube’s older Bravura, his newer one was also in that race (much faster).
The charter was made up of mostly French and SoCal sailors. As the boat was
going to be donated upon its return to California we drove it like it was
stolen.
The blooper we used the most was a cut little smaller so we did not need to
trim the halyard to keep the foot out of the water. This Frers had a huge
rudder and was pretty well behaved DDW. When bored on deck we would have a
contest to determine who could dip first the spin pole tip then the boom end in
the water the most times in a row. With the big rudder and the blooper the
helmsman could allow the boat to roll hard to weather, dip the pole then allow
the leeward roll for the boom dip. This game came to an end when the off watch
was attempting to eat spaghetti and too much ended up on the cabin sole.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle/Port Ludlow