Hi Everyone,

Perhaps now is a good time for a quick update on the Marine Museum of the
Great Lakes at Kingston and the drawing collections. As JohnKelly and
others have been discussing, the museum holds the drawing collections of
George Cuthbertson, from the early drawings of his youth to 1973 when
George handed over design responsibilities to Bob Ball and the C&C Design
Group, of which I was a member from 1969 to 1985. (I have been a member of
the Board of Directors of the Marine Museum since 2012). These drawings
were graciously donated to the museum by George himself. George  also sat
on the Board of Directors of the museum for a number of years. In the early
2000s Tim Jacket generously donated a large portion of the C&C drawings
dating from 1973 to 1996 to the Marine Museum. These drawings had been
acquired by Tim and Tartan Marine when Tartan purchased the assets of C&C
Yachts in 1996. A couple of years after Tim's initial donation of drawings,
I dropped in on Tim and Tartan to further explore their dusty mezzanine to
look for more drawings, and found about 30 rolls that Tim was unable to
deliver in his previous trip north. These, incidentally, included the
*Evergreen
*and Mega drawings, among others. Although I catalogued these drawings
prior to delivering them to the museum, subsequent events may not have
allowed all of them to be entered into the computer system. I still have
about 10 rolls of drawings that I picked up from Tartan, and about 15 rolls
that I received from Rob MacLachlan at South Shore before he closed his
operation. Unfortunately, time constraints and challenges at the Marine
Museum have prevented me from cataloguing these drawings (as I think
JohnKelly pointed out, cataloguing drawings is an exceedingly tedious
undertaking!)  In addition to the Cuthbertson and C&C drawing collections,
the museum also holds George Hinterhoeller's drawings, graciously donated
to the museum by his son Richard Hinterhoeller. The other sailing
collection the museum holds are blueprints, photos and drawings by the
early 20th Century Canadian yacht designer TBF Benson. Of Course, the
museum also holds about 40,000 ships plans, including the
entire archives of the Montreal naval architecture firm German and Milne,
as well as the archives of Canada Steamship Lines and all the shipyards
with which they were associated. Needless to say, the total drawing
collections of the museum are massive! So that's the background on the
drawing collection.

With regard to the Marine Museum itself, I'm sure everyone is aware that
the museum was evicted from their waterfront property (that property
included the historic dry-dock) in 2016 when the Canadian Federal
government of the day sold our property to a private developer. That
individual took advantage of a provision in our lease agreement with the
government to insist we vacate the property in 120 days. The City of
Kingston eventually provided storage space for the archives (including the
drawings) and artifacts, as well as a small "store front" office location
for the museum in Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, site of the 1976 Olympic
sailing events. Our fortunes increased significantly last year when a
generous benefactor donated enough money to the museum to allow us to buy
our former property (including the dry-dock) back from the developer who
had done nothing with the property over that three year period. Our plan is
to repair the damage done by three years of vandalism and neglect, and at
least move our offices back on the property this spring (Covid permitting).
In the meantime the museum's sailing and C&C collections were further
enhanced last year with the bequest of the legendary *Red Jacket * to the
Marine Museum by the late Peter Milligan. In addition the Museum has agreed
to accept a 1949 Greavette Int'l 14' Dinghy and a 1965 McCutheon built
Kirby III Int'l Fourteen. Both are in immaculate condition. There is a long
term plan to expand and enlarge the museum over the next 5 years, as well
as the possibility of acquiring another Museum Ship to occupy the dry-dock.
In the meantime, the museum is in the process of upgrading their website (
https://www.marmuseum.ca/). Our goal is to provide a virtual (and
eventually a physical) home for the Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame, (which
is managed by the Marine Museum, working with Sail Canada), initiate a web
based Register of Historic Canadian Sailing Craft, and make the
Cuthbertson, C&C Yachts, and Hinterhoeller drawings more easily accessible
online. However, these upgrades to the website are being undertaken with
talented volunteer labour, so will take time. When I recently asked
Michelle Clarabut, the Museum's Program and Education Manager (
https://www.marmuseum.ca/about/our-staff), for an update on the website,
Michelle replied:

*What I can say at this point is that Mike is working hard on the Ship
Lists section and the transfer of the remainder of the Museum's online
database (main one) from Queen's (University) in-house as is. Once that is
complete and Ship Lists are up and working, we'll be turning to the main
database search functionality and aesthetic, the end game - to ultimately
be able to provide visual thumbnails of drawings etc and the ability for
the public to order copies. This should then help significantly with
searches. This is going to be a long process when coupled with the fact
that I also have other priorities, but I wanted to share that it is in
progress. Mike has been extremely patient through it all and is working
very hard to set up with a much improved search function which should
resolve the issues and frustrations that I believe are expressed.  *

So, things are moving in a very positive direction with the Marine
Museum and the drawing collections, all-be-it, sometimes slower than we
would like. However, I cannot overestimate the Marine Museum's commitment
to the legacy of George Cuthbertson and C&C Yachts. The Museum organized
the C&C Yachts Reunion and Conference in 2012, and mounted the New Age of
Sail exhibit in 2015. The latter focussed on the huge growth in sailing and
boatbuilding in Canada with the transition from wood to fiberglass in the
1960s and '70s. It was at the Gala Dinner celebrating the opening of that
exhibit that the Honourary Co-Curators of this exhibit, George Cuthbertson
and Bruce Kirby, were inducted into the Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame. A
reworked version of this exhibit, that will obviously include Cuthbertson &
Cassian, *Red Jacket*, and the creation of C&C Yachts, will be the first
exhibit in the reworked museum galleries when we move back into our former
site.

I apologize for the length of this email, but hopefully it provides an
update on the Cuthbertson and C&C Yachts Collections at the Marine Museum
of the Great Lakes at Kingston.

And I have to join the chorus of "thank yous" to Stu for this extraordinary
online venue allowing communication between C&C owners and sailors.

Rob Mazza