Matt.
Because I use the furler only for cruising I replaced the snap-shackle on the furler with a standard small shackle and do have a snap-shackle on halyard. This allows me to host racing sails and attach the halyard to the foredeck when no sail is raised.  Besides the entry angle at the mast head it is also prudent to make sure all other mast head halyards are taunt when furling, more than one occasion have tried to roll a spinnaker halyard into the foresail. Fireball has two spinnaker halyards on the masthead crane and two jib halyard.
Don Kern
/Fireball,/ C&C35 Mk2
Bristol, RI