Being a graduate of Annapolis I was familiar/use the common nautical terms of overhead, deck, bulkhead, ladder, lines, head (much to my wife's ridicule at home).  When working for Raytheon doing radar and collision avoidance instructions, i did find an interesting anomaly aboard a 1000' Great Lake ore carrier in the 80's.  I do not know if the captain was pilling my leg, but he referred to the above in common household terms; ie ceiling, floor, wall, stairs etc.  to the point that the placards on the "front wall" of the bridge said "Left" and "Right" and spoke of the ships railings as "fences".  His explanation to a "Salty" was that his small crew came from Midwest and it was easier to use terms they were familiar with, especially in an emergency or drill.

Don Kern
/Fireball,/ C&C35 Mk2
Bristol, RI