We've been using soft shackles on the toe rail for fenders and a mid-ship
cleat for about three years now. I was curious how they would wear, and
have kept a close eye on them. There has been very minor fraying over time,
even with no chafe protection. They have faded a bit, but otherwise they
are doing well. Of course, this is a 25, so loads are probably pretty
small, but the same toe rail as many of the larger C&Cs.

Best,
Stephen
C&C 25 mkII
Washington, DC