Hello All,

Last season, my handheld VHF failed, and I find the nav station mounted radio
is hard to hear from the helm unless it is very loud which doesn’t help kiddos
napping on board.

I have looked at upgrading the base station and adding a Ram mic, but that is a
huge expense for something I don’t use all that much. A new handheld is also
expensive and I find it a bit of a pain to always have to charge it.

Seeing as we would like to add cockpit speakers to our stereo, I was thinking i
could save a bunch of money and wire the speakers to both the VHF and the
stereo and have a SPDT (on-off-on) switch on the circuit to choose between vhf
to cockpit, stereo to cockpit, or cockpit speakers off. I have 0 experience
wiring speakers, so I’m wondering if this is something that could work?

Either way I want cockpit stereo speakers so I figure it’s worth a try to add
the vhf since it won’t take much work or expense. The speakers do exceed the
recommended minimum wattage and match the recommended impedance for an external
speaker from the vhf manual. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam
C&C 38 mkII Checkmate

Sent from my iPhone