Back in the 80’s I crewed on J-24s when not doing foredeck on offshore boats.
In the Seattle area there are J-24 races on both Lake Washington and Puget
Sound.  The boats I crewed on often participated in both fleets the same week.
To transit from Lk WA to PS included going under 4 bridges and the Ballard
Locks.  This was often done after a few post race beverages.

So, one evening we decided to attempt heeling the J-24 over enough to go under
the LK WA Ship Canal’s Fremont bridge.  As we approached the narrow passage one
crew went up the mast and another on the boom gave enough heel to make it look
possible.

Fortunately we determined that heeling over far enough to clear the bridge
lifted the rudder out of the water = zero steering ability before we were
trapped under the bridge.  Also, it was good that most of my more entertaining
nautical performances occurred prior to cell phone cameras and YouTube.

FYI, I sailed the J-24s enough to get a chance to crew in the 1989 J-24 worlds
in Kingston including the road trips that go along with that level of
competition.  In the 10 years working up to that event we had many
opportunities to perfect stupid people tricks like heeling the J over 90
degrees, having a crew climb up the mast then all other crew jumping into the
water providing a sling shot ride to the guy up the mast.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle/Port Townsend’s boat yard