The jib halyard at the masthead is designed to exit the mast in a straight
line. A spinnaker will exert a pull to either side. Years ago we lost the
spinnakers head swivel leaving the halyard up the mast. Set another spinnaker
on the jib halyard. But the wire cut through shortly thereafter having been cut
by exit plates at the masthead.

Try swapping halyards at deck level so that the spinnaker comes out on the
desired side and the main exits on the opposite side.

Ed Levert
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans

Sent from my iPhone