Thanks all who assisted - problem solved.

We did send the pump and injectors in to performance diesel in Markham ON. -
recommended!   Pump was rebuilt but it was not the problem.  Injectors fine.
This left the governor.  Fascinating little gadget.   Conceptually, As Rpm
increases the centrifugal governor attempts to restrict fuel by closing a fuel
supply valve, fighting against a determined opposing spring which tries to
increase fuel by opening that valve.  This way as revs drop, the centrifuge
loses power, the spring wins and more fuel is supplied. Rpm is held constant
irrespective of load.   This eternal cosmic battle is limited at one extreme by
the speed lever, (aka the throttle) at the other - the wide open end - by a
stop.  If the spring is stretched and cannot pull the valve to the wide open
stop, the fuel valve only opens partway.   the fuel pump only operates over
part of its range, and revs under load are thereby limited.
I shortened the spring which now snaps  the lever smartly back against its
stop, opening the fuel slider fully.   The governor now has a worthy opponent
and the engine runs properly for the first time in years.  The owner will spend
the $10 to replace the spring.
Hopefully that helps someone else down the road.
On the universal this can be easily checked and repaired simply by removing the
fuel speed control plate.  30 min total to do the job.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone