All,

Finally something I can comment on --- all of you experts know so much and I
feel like a toddler at the kids table at Thanksgiving when I listen to you
all.

My experience with a wheel pilot was the Raymarine one you mention. I put it
on a Rawson 30 cutter rigged with an Edson wheel and pedestal. The Rawson is
a VERY heavy boat for it's size and I felt that I was pushing the limits
with the wheel pilot. In "calm seas" it did GREAT. however anything above
3-5' it wouldn't handle it at all and I had to hand steer. Keep in mind the
Rawson was very heavy and lots of freeboard. and it needed a lot of wind to
really get the rail down. So it was kind of at odds with itself as far as
autopilots go. it needed a lot of wind to get really moving, and then when
it had that, the seas were so "rolly" that the wheel pilot just couldn't
hold the line. I tried all the calibration tricks, and so long as it wasn't
too much above 10-12 knots, it was OK. after that - nope. It integrated well
into all the electronic goodies and had no problems there. (chart plotter,
GPS, Radar (Radar was Furuno, Chart plotter Garmin, GPS Raymarine).

So now that Alethea (C&C 43) has a shopping list for upgrades - she is
getting a new below decks autopilot - something along the lines of the
EV-400 or something maybe  like a Simrad AP28 . Still researching..

Interestingly enough I had a C&C 34 (Gabriella) that had the wheel taken out
and a tiller fit on.. When I bought her she had a "little" (and cheap)
Simrad tiller pilot and that would hold the C&C 34 in just about anything .
well - anything reasonable - 20-25 knots and choppy Puget Sound seas. But
"Gabby" was extraordinarily well balanced and she could be hand steered from
the tiller in heavy wind and seas with VERY minimal effort.

JP

Alethea

C&C 43