From: David Knecht via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 7:52 AM
To: CnC CnC discussion list <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Cc: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Main halyard shackle

My boat came with a main halyard shackle of a type I have never seen anywhere
else.  It has a pivoting arm that swings up after inserting through the
headboard and secured with a threaded pin.  It has worked fine for years and
easy to remove and attach, which I do routinely when done sailing for the day.
Recently, I twice found it nearly completely unscrewed after a day of rough
weather sailing, and that is concerning.  I don’t want to lose the halyard up
the mast.  I am considering replacing it this winter with a standard snap
shackle of the sort used on my genoa halyard.  I looked at a rigging company
web site and they used snap shackles for genoa halyards and pin shackles for
main halyards.  The logic of that escapes me.   On my boat, I take down the
roller furling genoa only a few times a season while the main halyard is
detached every time I go sailing.  I have no idea what the forces are on the
main halyard but I would not think much greater than the genoa.  Any words of
wisdom, or reason not to use a snap shackle for the main?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht
S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT