Thank you Dennis and all who replied. I just got a cell signal off Tortola,
about 25nm ahead.

As of this morning Calypso was some 200nm astern of us; we’re heading 214M to
the western tip of Jost.  In addition to her previous troubles (broken
forestay, wrapped prop, etc.) now apparently her autopilot has also failed.
But her owner is apparently determined to continue to Antigua, and borrow fuel
to do so, instead of ducking a closer port for repairs. I gather someone dived
the prop to clear it.

There was a nasty storm between the Carolina coast and Bermuda last weekend.
PredictWind showed 50 knots forecast, and by last Friday Chris Parker was
advising boats to get as far south and east as they could, as fast as possible.

I’m crewing the delivery of a Fountaine Pajot Saona 47 from Newport to St.
Thomas.  We sailed over 300 miles out of our way, almost to the 61st meridian,
to avoid that storm, adding two days to our trip. And still we saw 41-knot
gusts last Saturday or Sunday night.  And due to that big low pressure system,
the wind was out of the south for days instead of the usual easterlies,
hampering our progress to the Caribbean.

Anyway, I think Calypso was in the darkest red part of that storm and got beat
up pretty badly.

The delivery captain on my boat, Scott, has a friend Vinny who is delivering
another boat to Antigua in the Salty Dog Rally, with the owners aboard.  They
were the closest vessel to Calypso when her distress call came in, and went to
assist her. Vinny texted Scott about the situation, including issues with crew
dynamics on Calypso.

Last night we could have diverted six or eight hours to rendezvous with
Calypso, but didn’t want to give away our fuel to a captain making (in our
opinion) unreasonable decisions.  So we never met up.

As far as I know, Calypso’s owner is not on this mail list.

Cheers,
Randy

Sent from my iPhone