We added an EmTrak B951 last spring and it has been great, more useful than
radar in most cases (although radar was great the few times we needed it -
we were even able to spot humpbacks nearby that we could hear while
ghosting along in the fog). A big advantage of AIS is being able to hail
commercial traffic by name from a safe distance if we need to. We haven't
done any night passages yet, but knowing that we are as visible as possible
was a key reason for getting the transceiver vs. a receiver. Our solar arch
came with a separate VHF antenna and wiring, so I replaced it with a
homemade AIS specific one and it will act as a spare for the masthead
antenna as well by just switching cables. Range is good, with lots of
visibility to 30+ NM in most areas around here, less in the inlets/fjords
of course.
I don't have AIS integrated with the VHF radio, but did install a new N2K
backbone with the other new gear, mainly B&G wind/dst/compass/gps and
plotter. Having not sailed much with accurate wind instruments, I
appreciate having them, especially when the wind comes up when going
downwind - sometimes it is easy to get complacent with a lot of sail up in
25-30kt in warm summer air, then get a surprise with a windshift or course
change!

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com