Just got back from almost 6 weeks on our 35-2, but it has a custom Solent
rig with two furlers, 135 on outer, 95 on inner. At the halfway point, the
old Harken mk1 furler top swivel exploded and rained bearings on the deck,
fortunately on the way in, not out.
Anyway, that meant rigging our 95 blade jib for all purpose work, so I
currently have the sheets lead outside the shrouds and to the toerail with
snatch blocks. The stock genoa track doesn't extend far enough forward for
this sail, which is probably similar to a 105-110 when mounted further aft
on the inner furler (about 30" aft) - the clew reaches about 10" past the
aft lowers.
For extended upwind work, I have lead it inboard of the uppers and aft
shrouds, but this leaves only a very narrow working range for bearing off,
since I had to use the stanchion base or toerail. A longer genoa track
forward, or a barberhauler might could improve this.
Interestingly, I found we can point nearly as high with it rigged to the
toerail, and I have better control of the sail shape. Our last sail home
two days ago we blasted past a newer ~40' cruiser by pointing at least 5%
higher while maintaining 6+ kts boat speed in 15-18kts TW and current
against us. I don't think he was trying that hard though, whereas we wanted
to get through before the current made it impossible with the huge tides
this week. One of the issues I've found with this blade jib is that it
doesn't seem to create a decent slot effect with the main due to minimal
overlap, so I am often trimming the main independently of the jib (ie:
hardened up more) to get better boat speed, at least until the AW is over
15, at which point the main needs to be eased a bit.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com