From: Neil Gallagher via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2022 9:26 AM
To: David Knecht via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Neil Gallagher <njgallag...@optonline.net>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Re: Engine tachometer

On small diesels the tach gets its information from the alternator, it uses the
frequency of the alternating current, proportional to the alternator's RPM,
before the current goes through the rectifiers to be converted to DC.  This
could mean the electrical connection on the alternator for tach (usually
terminal marked "W") could be loose, or a bad connection between the alternator
and the tach.  If the speed showed slower it could mean the belt is slipping
but in your case it's showing higher, so more likely in the connections or in
the tach itself.

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly 35-1
Glen Cove, NY