I live aboard 8 months a year, the other 4 months all electric power is turned
off. The boat put away on the hard. I have 2 300 Ah house banks. They are both
in use all the time. Charging is accomplished by 440 watts of solar, or the
alternator.  My start battery is only charged by the alternator or battery
charger on the rare occasions I'm plugged into shore power. The alternator
charges all batteries via a battery isolator. There is no other connection
between the house bank and start battery. My question is why do I need 2
separate house banks? This thought all started while trying to figure out the
best way to keep the start battery charged in the off season. If I make one
house bank, then I can use one of the old house bank battery switches to
combine all batteries when needed. Doug Mountjoy sv Rebecca Leah C & C Landfall
39Port Orchard Yacht Club +1 253-208-1412
Thanks for your help.
Stu