Dave,

Folks on the East Coast tend to be fixated on the Florida Atlantic Coast. I
recognize the convenience of being on the route from the Northeast to the
islands.  However, there are other areas that bear consideration.

Good boatyards abound on the Florida Gulf Coast.  I take Touche' 26 hours
from Louisiana to haul at Pensacola Shipyard. I'm sure there are decent
services on Florida's West Coast.

Kemah, Tx has hundreds of sailboats.  I'm thinking there are good services
there also.  A bit out of the way for where many want to explore but why
not?

Years ago, a couple from the US West Coast sold their boat in California
and bought a boat in Louisiana for the express purpose of cruising the Gulf
Coast from Lake Pontchartrain to the Keys and possibly beyond.  Interesting
but well thought out idea.
--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 4:16 PM Dave S via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Contemplating my next boat and have realized that sailing is best enjoyed
> in a place that isn’t frozen.  Am looking to purchase a boat - likely in
> the Caribbean, with the intention of cruising farther afield in 2-3 years.
> The border services (taxation)  folks in my beautiful native Canada are
> most willing to share in the adventure by charging an exorbitant stack
> o’taxes and duties should said boat arrive for importation in Canada to
> enjoy a 4 month sailing season or two.   As a Canadian citizen I cannot not
> import it, not easily anyway.
> So - we go away and we stay away, and we refit in the USA.
> Can anyone recommend a yard in the south east that is reasonable and
> decent to deal with?  I have been told that if Florida then north of
> Jupiter.
> Anyone have any other thoughts or experience on the subject?
>
> Many thanks all.
>
> Dave 33-2

Thanks for your help.
Stu